The 3G capable P61 Smart Terminal allows merchants to connect wirelessly using a cellular network.
If your Poynt device is 3G capable, its serial number will include a C or G instead of the usual W.
3G Enabled Device: P61SG... or P61SC
Wi-fi Only Device: P61JW...
1. You should have a 3G Capable P61 device, SIM Card, and a sharp needle-nose tweezers on hand.
2. Follow normal activation procedure to associate the device, connecting the device to the Merchant's bank and Poynt.net account.
3. Select or create Terminal user. Log in.
Inserting SIM Card
1. Open the printer hatch door and lay the device on its side so that the left side of the second screen is flush with a level surface (see image below)
2. In the older Poynt P61s there will be two card slots - one for an SD card and one for your SIM card. The SIM card goes into the longer slot. The correct slot is also indicated below (left).
The newer P61s just have a SIM card slot (right). This one has a push-in-bounce-out mechanism so you may not need tweezers to remove the SIM card.
3. When inserting the SIM Card, make sure the notch on the SIM card is oriented so the upper right is inserted first with the gold contacts face up.
Make sure you are careful not to damage the connector pins in the slot. Gently push the SIM Card all the way into the slot.
4. When removing the SIM card in the older P61s (pictured above left), you’ll need sharp needle-nose tweezers to carefully pull the card out. They do not have a push-in-bounce-out mechanism. Be careful not to damage the connector pins inside the slot.
For larger cellular providers like AT&T or T-Mobile, the terminal may connect automatically at this point. If using FreedomPOP provided SIMs, please continue to Configuring the Mobile Network below.
Configuring the mobile network
1. Enable Developer Preferences
Configure Mobile Network:
1. Swipe right on the launcher to reveal Settings tile and click on the “Settings” tile
2. Go to Developer Preferences > System > and under Wireless & Networks select More
3. Tap on Mobile Network Settings
4. Tap on the box to enable Data Roaming. Click OK to “Allow data roaming?”
5. Tap on Access Point Names
6. In menu option (three dots right top), select Reset default
7. In Edit Access Point, tap on APN and change to: freedompop.foggmobile.com
8. Tap on Save in the top-right menu dropdown to save the updated APN settings
9. Disable Developer Preferences.
10. Reboot the device for the settings to take effect.
After the reboot, you should see the icon at the top right showing your Poynt terminal connected to the cell network. If you only see the 4 bars, this means your device has no signal.
Signal indicators in the 4-bar icon:
- H indicates the fastest/strongest signal
- 3G is standard
- E is slower signal
NOTE: The system will use WiFi if there is a WiFi network available. You may have to disable WiFi to force a cellular connection.