New Updates for Poynt merchants – February 2017
A. Transaction (aka “Clerk/Server”) Reports from the terminal
Now available to be generated directly from the device. Merchants can now generate and view Transaction summaries directly from Settlements App > Reports. This allows merchants to access information such as employee totals including tip totals.
- Tap on the Settlements App.
- Tap on Reports.
- Choose the date or date range for the report you wish to generate.
Select the type of report:
- Transaction Reports contain summaries, breakdowns, and details of all transactions
- Item Sales Reports (specifically for Orders generated from Register App) contain item/SKU-level information.
Select whether you want to generate the report for All Terminal Users (“Employees”) or for specific Terminal User(s).
Once report is generated, tap on Details button to view the report. Scroll through the Summary and Breakdown sections to view transaction detail information.
B. Audible Alert to Remove Card
When a customer inserts a card for transaction processing, an audible beeping/alert will sound indicating customer may remove card and continue with the remaining prompts (ie tip, receipt, etc).
Merchant and customer screens will clearly instruct customer to remove card. In addition, an audible alert will sound from the device. Note: please ensure your volume is turned up by pressing the top button on the right-hand side of the device.
C. Customize Tip Percentage Prompts
For tip-enabled merchants, you can now set custom Tip Percentage prompts for the customer screen. By default, the Tip Percentage prompts on the customer screen will show the calculation options for applying tip amounts for 15%, 18%, and 20% of the transaction total.
For merchants who wish to adjust those Tip Percentage prompts, you may do so by logging into your Poynt.net HQ Account.
- After logging in to your poynt.net HQ account, click on “Business” tab on the top navigation.
- Then click on “Manage Store”.
- Then click on “Payment Settings”.
- If you are tip-enabled, you will see an option to apply “Custom tip percent”.
- Adjust each of the buttons accordingly. (Left tip % option corresponds to the left tip button, center tip % option corresponds to the center tip button, and right tip % option corresponds to the right tip button.)
- Click on Save Store to save the settings. Note: the device may take a few minutes to sync to the newly applied updates.
Note: Elavon merchants may request custom Tip Percentage options by calling Elavon Support.
D. Login Settings – new options for merchants
Merchants can now choose to have Terminal Users log in with only their Passcode (aka Clerk/Server ID) on the Poynt terminal (instead of tapping the Terminal Username then entering passcode).
Terminal User creation would follow normal procedures. From poynt.net HQ, merchants who would like the Passcode-Only option can enable new this feature when creating new Terminal Users. Go to “Business” tab, then “Terminal Users” on the left navigation. Note: Enabling this option is only available through owner’s login to poynt.net HQ on the web.
If Passcode-Only login is enabled, instead of the left screen where a user has to tap their login username and then enter passcode, the user does not have to tap on a login username. They can simply proceed to entering in their passcode (right screen example).
In addition, there is a new option to sign out existing user and sign in as another user:
E. Terminal User Auto-Logout Settings
Merchants can choose to set specific auto-logout settings:
- After every transaction or
- After a specific time of inactivity
Merchants can also set their device sleep settings to maximize battery power. If a device is off-dock, the sleep settings will put the device screens into sleep mode after x minutes of inactivity.
- Log in to poynt.net HQ
- Click on the “Business” tab
- Click on the “Manage Store” button
- Click on the “Login settings” tab
Note: Device sleep setting is triggered only if device is off-dock. While on dock, you may quick-grab the power button to put the display to sleep.
F. Terminal User Roles
Merchants can choose which Terminal User are assigned roles that have limited functions/settings. For example, terminal users may (or may not) be able to perform the following based on their user role:
- Void a transaction
- Refund a referenced transaction
- Perform a Non-Reference Refund
G. Limiting “Employee” Terminal User Roles
“Employee”-role Terminal Users are now configured so they may view only their own transactions in Settlements App for Tip Adjustment. “Manager” and “Owner” roles may view all transactions in Settlement and may also Settle open batches.
Specifically, Employees will not have permission to:
- Settle open batch
- Can not view / adjust transaction not processed by them
In addition, on the device, Employee view also limits Transaction List view to only transactions processed by that employee.
Note: If you need your employee to be able to Settle batch or View other transactions, then assign them the Manager role.
H. Additional Accessory Support for Network Printers:
The following Epson printer models are now supported for external network printers. These network printers may be added through the Accessory Manager:
- Epson TM-m30 (Thermal Printer)
- Epson TM-U220B (Impact Printer)
- Connect the network printer to your router following instructions provided with the network printer.
- Follow instructions to print out a receipt with the IP Address information.
- From the Poynt Smart Terminal, swipe down and tap Settings > Accessory Manager.
- Tap on green button ‘Add network accessory’.
- Tap ‘Printer’ and choose the specific model.
- Enter the IP address from the printed network setup information.
- Tap ‘Confirm’ when entered.
- Run a test print to ensure network printer was successfully added.
I. Poynt Register App Enhancements:
Save & Print Order setting:
Merchants may now enable a new setting for printing Register App Order Receipts. For merchants who need to Save Order and immediately send the Order Receipt to print, you may now set that preference in the Register App > Settings screen.
In the Register App, when you toggle the setting to “ON”, after you add items to an order and tap the “Save” button, an Order Receipt is immediately printed to your selected printer(s).
Line-Item Tax On/Off Toggle:
Merchants can now toggle on or off tax calculations at the line-item level. Previously, tax calculations could be toggled on or off at the order level. Also newly added, the screen enhancement at the order level allows merchants to view the specific tax labels and toggle off the order level taxes accordingly.
Line-Item Tax Toggle:
Order-level Tax Toggle:
J. Static IP Ethernet Connection
Merchants who are connected via Ethernet cable now have the option to set Static IP. In the pull-down tray, there is a new icon added to support adding Static IP if Ethernet-connected.
- Choose Static IP from Connection Type drop-down.
- Enter in the appropriate fields of information.
Note: Dynamic IP is the default.
K. Paper Roll Re-order from Poynt Terminal
Now merchants who receive the Out of Paper message on device can order paper rolls directly from the Poynt Terminal.
Manually key in the credit card to be used for billing the paper roll re-order.
By default, the Paper Roll Re-order will use the primary Business Address on file for the Bill-To and Ship-To addresses.
You may add a new address and email address for confirmation.
Note: This feature is not currently available for Elavon merchants.
L. Ability to perform Non-Reference Refund Manual Entry transactions
On device, users who are "Owner"-role now have the ability to enter manual entry transactions for Non-Reference Refunds.
- Start from Terminal App.
- Tap on left-side drop-down and select Non-Reference Refund.
- Enter amount and tap Refund button.
- Tap on right-side drop-down and select Manual Entry.
- Enter in the required fields for cardholder information.
- Tap Refund.
Note: This feature is not currently available for Elavon merchants.